One of our distinguished achievements this year was holding the first ever Ethics & Bioinformatics Conference in Jordan that was held on Aug. 11th,2016.
Dr. Kenneth Goodman; founder and director of the University of Miami Bioethics Program and his WHO Collaborating Center on Bioethics from the University of Miami, in collaboration with the Jordan RCR Program and the College of Pharmacy at JUST(Jordan University of Science & Technology) organized this event.
We had local organizations and their leaders presenting from multidisciplinary backgrounds and Dr. Lucila Ohno-Machado who is an internationally acclaimed authority in biomedical informatics joining by live stream from San Diego.
We also had 5 of our first year graduates who volunteered to present short presentations on ethics reflecting on their practicums or areas of expertise from three different Jordan Universities, see below:
1. Nihaya A. Al-Sheyab, PhD, Associate Professor of Child and Adolescent Health / Vice Dean for the Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery, and Health at Jordan University of Science and Technology (JUST).
Title: “The ethical dilemmas in regards to Electronic Health Records in Jordan”
2. Sukainah Al-Zyoud, Ph.D, Associate Professor – Tobacco Control Research Group (Founder).Hashemite University.
Title: “Research Studies using Electronic Health Records in Jordan:Ethical Concerns”
3. Nafez Abu-Tarboush, PhD, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Jordan
Title:” Assessment of Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice of Research Ethics among Professors of Health Sciences at The University of Jordan“
4. Qosay A. Al-Balas,PhD, Pharmaceutical Research Center Chairman,Associate Professor, Molecular Modeling and Drug Design, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jordan University of Science and Technology,
Title:“CRISPR in Muslim community, challenges in riding the wave”
5. Mahmoud Alomari, PhD, Associate Professor at the Division of Physical Therapy in the Department of Rehabilitation Sciences in Jordan University of Science and Technology.
Title: “Ethics in exercise testing and Research”